Saturday, November 1, 2008

Veggie burgers



This is my standard quickie veggie burger. It's fast, it's easy, and it's yummy. I usually make pitas to go with it, but sometimes I serve them on rolls. I love it with a yogurt sauce with crushed garlic (or minced scallions) and salt.


1 1/4 cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed
scant cup bulghur
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 tsp. cumin (or maybe a little more)
1 tsp. paprika
salt to taste
2 T. olive oil, plus more for frying the burgers


Cook the lentils in 3 cups of water seasoned with 1 tsp. of salt. (Bring to a boil, then simmer till the lentils are soft, about 20-25 minutes.) Add the bulghur, stir well, cover, and remove from the heat. Allow to stand for 20 minutes or so.


While the lentils are cooking, saute the onion in 2 T. olive oil with a couple of pinches of salt until soft and browned. Add the cumin, paprika and garlic and saute, stirring constantly, for another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and stir into the lentil/bulghur mixture after it has sat long enough to absorb all the liquid. The mixture should be pretty stiff.
I find mixing with my hands is the easiest way to go.
I use pieces about 1/3 of a cup, fried in a couple of tablespoons of hot olive oil.

No comments: