Tuesday, June 3, 2008

corn meal

I think I've been on a little cornmeal kick lately -- but not just any cornmeal -- more specifically, coarse-grind polenta.

Last week I made a mushroom polenta pie based on a recipe in Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites, using portobello mushrooms and some beautiful local spinach from Wilson's Farm. I forgot to take a picture, but it was delicious, and we ate it with some red sauce I made and froze last September, based on a recipe of Deborah Madison's -- I think it was a "long simmered tomato sauce" but I can't remember at the moment which of her cookbooks it comes from.

Today I'm making Anadama bread. I started it last night, as specified by the recipe in Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. I've made it before, but not in awhile. I mixed up the sponge earlier and just now put together the dough. Personally I like a darker molasses than he calls for. Mostly I'm making this to take to my sister later this week.


I'm thinking this is an ideal moment to start this project, because our summer CSA begins tomorrow! I am so excited. Our first pickup will have lettuce, spinach and bok choy.

No comments: