Friday, June 27, 2008

chickpeas and greens

Well, Deborah Madison never disappoints. I found a recipe for chickpeas and greens with Moroccan spices, and it was dynamite! I soaked some chickpeas around 10 a.m. and cooked them around 5, with a (whole) onion, a few cloves of garlic, and a few pinches of asafoetida. (I've decided, by the by, that chickpea broth, this way, just might be the vegetarian version of chicken broth. It's got richness, depth of flavor -- as well as a delicacy that most bean broths lack. I just love bean broths, for sure, but I think that chickpea broth is my fave.)

I didn't have quite enough cilantro, but at least some left from last week's share -- and the parsley I clipped from my own herb garden. Last year's parsley has gone to seed, but I bought a few plants at the farmer's market last Saturday and planted those with some compost; they're thriving.

The other thing I didn't have was preserved lemons -- I've been meaning to try making those for awhile, so as soon as I find a good price on unsprayed lemons, I think I'll take the plunge.

We ate the rest of the pickled beets with it, and multicolored orzo, and Aaron brought some sausages that we threw on the grill for those who wanted them.

No comments: